Friday, September 03, 2004

Latest Chinatown DVD Haul

Went to Curiosa last weekend. Maybe I can be bothered to say something about that later. Or not. Or maybe now: Mogwai played My Father My King. My goosebumps had goosebumps by the end. Aside from that, overall it was great (except for the jackass couple of youngsters behind us who apparently only like The Cure, and at that only like 7 or 8 very popular Cure songs. The girl looked pretty hip, though...until she spoke)
---
Anyway - picked up some DVD's in Chinatown:
Breaking News
One Night In Mongkok (both obtained at Sung Sing Center)
both excellent movies - is it possible that Hong Kong cinema is getting back on it's feet?

also got:
Jiang Hu - superbad box set
Ju-On: The Grudge
Ju-On: The Grudge 2
and Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi

and the guy at QQ Entertainment - I think that's what's called...across the street from the Ten Ren Tea store - gave me a nice Jiang Hu poster for buying the box!
I heartily recommend both of these joints for you Asian Movie Buying Experience in Frisco. (You might want to check out what QQ has, then hit Sung Sing since they're the cheapest in the area, then head back for whatever Sung Sing doesn't have - QQ tends to have more Korean and Japanese movies and they seem to get older flicks back in stock - sometimes at Sung Sing, if you miss it, you miss it.)

And, of course, I find out that Ju-On is supposed to be getting a pretty nice DVD here from Lion's Gate to tie in The Grudge - the US remake/remix/reimagining starring that cute Sarah Michelle Gellar.

And also, Miramax, those purveyors of quality Asian Cinema are supposed to be releasing a rumored to be uncut DVD, with possibly some extras, of Zatoichi coupled with - or possibly packaged with, I'm not 100% sure - the long awaited DVD of Sonatine.

And speaking of Miramax, they actually put Hero out. And it's here in the greater Fresno/Clovis area. Well, I'll be....

No comments: